Over 11 years, ISC provided mentoring, training, and funding for 427 environmental projects across Russia, building Russian expertise while addressing serious environmental problems, such as climate change, energy efficiency, and air and water pollution.more
ISC has worked with Russian citizens since the early nineties to halt environmental degradation, stem global warming, restore health to people suffering from pollution, and help businesses find sustainable economic alternatives to resource destruction. We also have worked at the grassroots level to help ordinary citizens change the quality of life in Russia.
At every step, we have worked hand in hand with Russian people-and the nonprofits that support them-to give them the tools and skills they need to transform their communities. As Russia emerged from Soviet rule, the centralized government that once took care of most aspects of public life no longer had the resources to do so, and there were few nonprofits or community leaders ready and able to fill the void. ISC helps government officials, nonprofit leaders, and ordinary citizens forge new and permanent partnerships that can tackle seemingly insurmountable problems.
- We carried out a 10-year nationwide program that enabled Russians to learn directly from other Russians to solve environmental problems. This work continues through the Fund for Sustainable Development, a nonprofit launched by our Russian staff, and through 6 regional environmental centers.
- We funded 721 projects in every corner of the country that cleaned polluted air and water, eliminated toxic waste, reduced energy consumption, and launched sustainable businesses.
- We worked with 50,000 people across the Russian Far East by helping grassroots groups and nonprofits launch 228 environmental and social projects benefiting 392,877 people.
- We gave 16 regional nonprofits the tools and skills to carry out meaningful civic engagement work long into the future.
- We showed 44 businesses how they can minimize their impact on the environment while increasing profits.
In the remote and often isolated Russian Far East, ISC helped grassroots community groups and fledgling nonprofits address critical social and environmental needs.more
Our locally based approach to energy efficiency in Russia is yielding dramatic drops in CO2 and saving millions of rubles—proving that what is good for the climate is good for the community.more